This unique, total solution for high performance in the two-up production area (see layout) consists of two PrimaPlus saddle stitchers, which are connected with one another via a Tandem element (3). The entire system can be equipped with up to 32 feeders and has a "master" machine (1), with product delivery to the front (4), and a "slave" machine (2), with delivery to the rear (5). The delivery of the "slave" line is connected with the three-knife trimmer (6) via the conveyor system (7), the trimmer is easily accessible on the front side of the unit – Advantage: The Tandem solution can easily be managed and operated by just one person.
Highest Net Production Outputs and Maximum Flexibility
At a mechanical speed of 14,000 cycles per hour, up to 56,000 copies of a stitched product can be finished in two-up production, neatly trimmed on three sides and delivered (2 x 14,000 copies x 2). Depending on the product that is to be produced, the production can even be raised to the tremendous number of 84,000 copies per hour, with the installation of a likewise proven trio-cut device. (Figures are based on max. mechanical speed, net production depends on process and paper).
56,000 copies per hour (in two-up production) or even 84,000 copies per hour (in three-up production) can be produced with the new Muller Martini configuration for multi-purpose utilization.
There is no machine in the world that offers the user more flexibility. In line with the Tandem design principle (“making two into three”), the system can be operated as two individual machines or coupled into one system with the Tandem connection element, by the push of a button.
Perfect Trimming and Finishing
The saddle stitchers from Muller Martini are well proven, even in hard, multi-shift continuous operation, and are known for their good stitching quality. The flying stitching heads can be equipped for standard, eyelet and special stitchings.
The three-knife trimmers deliver the highest trim quality and are known for their long knife service lives. With center-cut and trio-cut equipment as well as various hole punching options, they deliver many value-added benefits. In addition, they are quick to setup and change over. Two models compensating stackers, the Perfetto or Robusto can be offered – fully integrated in the saddle stitcher control – which provide for perfect stacks at the end of the production chain.
All quality checks, including the new Asir 3 system for bar code and image recognition, are available. This guarantees optimal product quality. With the AMRYS (Automatic Make Ready System) pre-setting system, all size adjustments (including product thickness) can be adjusted automatically. This reduces the system’s make-ready time by up to 50 percent. As options, AMRYS can also be used only for the feeders, stitching machine, three-knife trimmer or compensating stacker.
With this configuration, Muller Martini offers a solution that is not only economical and up to the highest demands for production technology, but is future-oriented, JDF/JMF-capable and can also be fully networked into the digital workflow in accordance with CIP4 standards.
A Tandem solution brings a whole series of striking advantages to the customer:
- Greatest flexibility when scheduling jobs: Two different jobs can be produced in parallel, the same job can be produced on both saddle stitchers at the same time or the system can be used as a complete line for a job with a larger number of different signatures.
- The number and type of feeders are freely selectable (folder feeder for covers and cards, sample gluer for product samples, reply cards, CDs, DVDs, etc.)
- As an additional function, PrimaPlus Tandem allows "inline pre-stitching" - stitch-in-stitch production, unique on the market - in a single pass.
- The system is ideally suited for small circulations thanks to the quick, automatic size set-up with Amrys (or also partial Amrys if desired.)
- Sizes up to 18-7/8” (480 mm) in spine length can be processed.
- The system can be expanded with inserting lines for completing the printed products with loose inserts.
- It is possible to package each finished magazine individually with plastic film.