Layout: Prima Plus Tandem
“Making Two into Three” In this example, one saddle stitcher with nine feeders (green arrow) and one saddle stitcher with five feeders (blue arrow) can be run separately, or they can be coupled into a complete system with 14 feeders (red arrow) with a push of the button, via the tandem element (*).
Everyone knows the situation: For 80 percent of jobs, a saddle stitcher with a maximum of five to eight feeders would be enough. But no one wants to miss out on the remaining 20 percent. So – how long does your saddle stitcher have to be? Muller Martini's tandem solution provides for both at once: the “bird in the hand” and the “two in the bush!”
For example, the user can purchase two saddle stitchers with five feeders each. The user can then process two jobs with a few signatures at maximum speed. If needed, both saddle stitchers can be connected to one another, forming a long machine with ten feeders, which can process a thick, extensive job. This means: Neither of the two jobs has to be declined. On the contrary – both jobs can be executed at the optimal speed for the production.
The design principle of this system is very simple and follows the concept of “Making Two into Three.” The tandem system consists of two individually operating Prima saddle stitchers, which can be coupled together into one large machine with the push of a button, using the tandem connection element (see layout).
This brings a whole series of significant advantages to the customer.
- Provides great flexibility in the scheduling of jobs (two different jobs can be produced simultaneously, the same job can be produced on both saddle stitchers at the same time or the system can be used as a complete line for a job with many signatures)
- Makes the number and type of feeders freely selectable (folder feeder for covers and cards, sample gluer for product samples, reply cards, CDs, DVDs, etc.)
- Performs additional functions (PrimaPlus Tandem allows "inline pre-stitching" - stitch-in-stitch production unique on the market - in a single pass)
- Is best suited for small runs with quick, automatic size set-up (Amrys) or also partial Amrys if desired.
- With Amrys, achieves the well-known short set-up and make-ready times, including in tandem operation.
- Is JDF/JMF workflow capable according to the CIP4 production standard
- Saves time (inline processes) and personnel (operation)
- Is very space-saving, judging by its production capabilities
Bookbindery Manager Tim Millman (right), Machine Operator Egan Schlonies (left) and Tom Lang, Sales Manager from Muller Martini Canada, in front of the new PrimaPlus Tandem Amrys saddle stitcher at RBW Graphics in Owen Sound.
More Added Value through Selective Binding (SB)
Today, editorial and commercial printed materials must be more precisely customized for the target audience. To this end, Muller Martini also offers selective binding (SB) for the tandem versions. The heart of such a system is the SB controller. It processes customer data into control commands for the feeder, stitching machine, labeling and addressing system, inserting machine, compensating stacker and top sheet printer. Differing brochures are personalized and produced in the specified sequence to match mailing routes.
The attachment of reader-specific messages on advertisements, order cards, etc. is also possible with the SB controller and commonly available inkjet systems, based on the same data as for the selective binding process, both inside the book as well as outside on the product.
The PrimaPlus Tandem solution does not only offer the greatest possible flexibility and efficiency in production. Flexibility is the magic word when it comes to first purchasing the system. The PrimaPlus is based on the proven modular design principle from Muller Martini. This means that the base machine can be modified and expanded successively to meet the needs of the customer. A second PrimaPlus can later supplement the existing system and can be expanded into a PrimaPlus Tandem with the tandem element. An ingenious solution that opens up all options for the customer.